Sunday 13 December 2015

Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato & Lentil Soup

Soup is one of my favourite meals. If I puree the soup I can usually get my kids to eat it as well.  They don't have as big a bowl as I do so tend to have a bit more bread. They did love this soup though! I think the sweetness from the roasted red peppers helped!


Ingredients
3 Red Peppers (diced)
8 Tomatoes (sliced in half)
Drizzle Olive Oil
Pinch Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1tsp Cumin Seeds
1tsp Ground Coriander
1tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Onion (diced)
2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
125g Red Lentils
700ml Vegetable Stock (I use a Kallo Stock Cube)

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
In a roasting dish add the red peppers and tomatoes.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt.  Roast for 40 minutes turning every so oven.
In a casserole dish fry fry the cumin seeds and ground coriander for a minute then add the coconut oil, onion and crushed garlic.  Fry for a minute being careful not to let it burn.  Remove the roasted peppers and tomatoes from the oven and add to the casserole dish. Add the red lentils and stir well.  Pour in the vegetable stock, stir and leave to simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat.

Puree, sieve if preferred and serve with a healthly bread.  I love Deliciously Ella's Superbread recipe. For my kids aged 5 and 3 I serve with a slice of buttered wholemeal bread and ask them to try a small piece of superbread.  My 5 year old son always says yum but when you ask if he wants more he politely says no thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment